Lingering effects of acne reduced with scar treatment in Cleveland
Acne can leave emotional scars, and it can leave physical scars.
Caused by hair follicles that are clogged with oil and dead skin cells, acne occurs as two types: non-inflammatory lesions (whiteheads or blackheads) and inflammatory lesions (such as pimples and cysts).
We have those inflammatory red bumps and pus-filled lumps to blame for scars. It’s important to avoid damage (or further damage) and reduce the look of scars by seeking treatment in the Cleveland area from our experienced and compassionate team at Seriously Skin.
The “How” and “What” of scarring
While not everyone with acne gets scars, about 30 percent of those with acne do if the pimples or cysts are severe enough. The scarring happens when new collagen is laid down to heal the injury caused by the acne.
Even the types of scars are not all the same.
- Ice pick scars look like deep pits in the skin.
- Atrophic scarring is flat or thin and slightly depressed
- Hypertrophic or keloid are characterized by thick, raised lumps
While scarring can appear less obvious over time, without intervention from a professional team like Cleveland area’s Seriously Skin, these marks and bumps will remain.
Not all scars are the same, so treatments are tailored to you and your condition, including:
- For ice pick – Skin resurfacing with either dermabrasion or lasers; punch grafting whereby the scar is removed through a small hole punched in the skin and replaced with new skin (for deep scars)
- For atrophic – Dermal fillers injected to fill out the skin’s surface, reducing the appearance of scars; skin needling to introduce a “micro-wound” that triggers the body to make more collagen, elastic fibers; dermabrasion or microdermabrasion (for more minor scars)
- For hypertrophic – Potent steroid creams or ointments; steroid injections; needling; cryotherapy to freeze surface lesions; surgery
We offer a number of the latest safe and effective answers to these broad categories of treatments, including Levulan, a more efficient answer to “traditional” laser therapies, and the Micro Laser Peel, a customized peel to remove the outermost layer of skin, revealing improved surface underneath. You don’t have to go under the knife and turn to more invasive procedures to get results – diminishing the look of or removing your scars.
Each technique or product, however, has its own side effects, considerations, average results, and expectations for recovery. We can discuss each of these areas, and match you with the best acne scar treatment in Cleveland.